Children and Fire:
- Store matches and lighters out of children’s reach and sight, up high, preferably in a locked cabinet.
- Never use lighters or matches as a source of amusement for children; they may imitate you
- If your child expresses curiosity about fire or has been playing with fire, calmly but firmly explain that matches and lighters are tools for adults only.
- Use only lighters designed with child-resistant features. Remember child-resistant does not mean child proof.
- Teach young children to tell an adult if they see matches or lighters, and teach school-age children to bring any matches or lighters to an adult.
- Never leave matches or lighters in a bedroom or any place where children may go without supervision.